At a Catholic wedding ceremony, music plays a crucial role in creating a sacred and joyful atmosphere. The right selection of songs can enhance the beauty of the ceremony and make it a memorable experience for everyone.
For your convenience, we’ve broken down a few sections in which these songs are suggested. You’ll eventually make up your own mind based on how each suggested song appeals to you. Our full list of songs for you to listen to is at the bottom of this page in our Spotify playlist.
Catholic Wedding Processional Songs
The processional song is the one that is played when the wedding party walks down the aisle. Furthermore, it is a crucial part of the ceremony and sets the tone for the rest of the day. Here are some of the best processional songs for a Catholic wedding ceremony:
- “Canon in D” by Johann Pachelbel
- “Ave Maria” by Franz Schubert
- “Trumpet Voluntary” by Jeremiah Clarke
- “The Arrival of the Queen of Sheba” by George Frideric Handel
- “Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring” by Johann Sebastian Bach
All of these songs have a classic and elegant feel that is perfect for a Catholic wedding ceremony. Moreover, they are also well-known and loved by many, making them a safe and reliable choice for your special day.
The responsorial psalm is a musical response to the first reading during the ceremony. It is a beautiful and meaningful part of the liturgy that can be enhanced by the right selection of music. Finally, here are some great options for responsorial psalms:
- “The Lord is Kind and Merciful” by Jeanne Cotter
- “Blessed are Those Who Love You” by Marty Haugen
- “Like a Shepherd” by Bob Dufford
- “I Have Loved You” by Michael Joncas
- “Psalm 33: The Earth is Full of the Goodness of the Lord” by Francesca LaRosa
All of these songs have beautiful lyrics that perfectly complement the responsorial psalm. Lastly, they are also easy to sing along to, making them a great choice for congregational participation.
Unity Candle Song
The lighting of the unity candle is a beautiful symbol of the joining of two families. It is a special moment that can be enhanced by the right choice of music. Lastly, here are some great options for unity candle songs:
- “By My Side” from Ben Harper
- “When Love is Found” by Brian Wren
- “One Flame” by Amber Norgaard
- “Here, Right Now” by Joshua Radin
- “The Wedding Song (There is Love)” by Noel Paul Stookey
All of these songs are beautiful and romantic, making them perfect for the unity candle ceremony. Furthermore, they are also well-known and loved by many, making them a safe and reliable choice for your special day.
The recessional song is the one that is played when the wedding party exits the ceremony. What’s more, it is a joyful and celebratory moment that should be accompanied by an uplifting and lively song. Here are some great options for recessional songs:
- “Ode to Joy” by Ludwig van Beethoven
- “Hallelujah Chorus” from Handel’s Messiah
- “Wedding March” from A Midsummer Night’s Dream by Felix Mendelssohn
- “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee” by Ludwig van Beethoven
- “Spring (From the Four Seasons)” by Antonio Vivaldi
All of these songs have a happy and upbeat feel that is perfect for the recessional.
Here’s our full inspirational list of songs:
Last Updated: February, 2023